About the Organization:
Congo Initiative USA (CI-USA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote transformative higher education, leadership formation, and community transformation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). At the heart of CI’s work is our core catalyst of change – Congo Initiative – Université Chrétienne Bilingue du Congo (CI-UCBC). Launched in 2007, CI-UCBC is a four-year, Christian university equipping changemakers and modeling transformation by holistically renewing communities and promoting systemic justice.
We invest in Congo’s future by equipping CI-UCBC and its community-driven initiatives to drive change and deliver transformational impact. We focus on the following five areas where CI-UCBC has demonstrated proven impact: equipping leaders through transformative education and leadership development; breaking barriers for women and children; improving livelihoods through basic education and economic opportunity; promoting peace and justice by resolving land conflict and defending those wrongfully-imprisoned; healing through grief and trauma counseling.
CI-USA is the resource and partnership development arm of CI in the United States. Building deep and lasting relationships that lead to increasing ﬁnancial investment from individual donors, foundations, and church partners is the essence of CI-USA’s mission.
Position Summary: The Administrative Coordinator will provide critical support for our growing organization. This is a part-time position that reports to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will have outstanding organizational, administrative, and communications skills and thrive in a multi-tasking role, exhibit flexibility and patience with poise, and take pride in contributing to the excellence and professionalism of the organization. Preference will be given to candidates who can work between the hours of 8am-5pm EST.
Job Category: Part-Time (25 hours per week) with the potential to move to full-time.
Location: Baltimore, MD or Durham, NC preferred; Remote possible
Benefits: Retirement Plan (3% of employer contribution and holiday pay (5 hours per day)
Responsibilities: Hours attributed to each area below are estimates only.
Accounting and Finance (10 hours)
- Process bank deposits and manage bank account
- Ensure timely entry of all gifts and constituent record updates in the database
- Maintain prompt gift receipting and coordinate donor acknowledgement processes
- Coordinate renewals of recurring donor credit card information
- Manage credit card accounting on a monthly basis, including payments and fund allocations
- Receive funding requests from staff and prepare expense authorizations for approval
- Handle other accounting related duties (as needed) in consultation with Executive Director and the accounting services provider
Communications and General Operations Support (8 hours)
- Serve as the first point of contact for general inquiries
- Function as the organization’s database administrator, maintaining accurate and complete information for all constituent records and running reports as needed for communication and fundraising purposes
- Draft correspondence to donors and other constituents as requested
- Coordinate print jobs and mailings with a local vendor in consultation with communications staff and/or contract services
- Manage and keep up-to-date a master calendar for all CI-USA travel and events
- Prepare meeting materials and take minutes for all staff meetings
- Coordinate logistics for an annual board retreat
- Assist with preparing materials for quarterly board meetings
- Coordinate travel arrangements for staff and international retreats
- Represent CI to the general public, including donors, service providers, and organizations.
Major Gifts (4 hours)
Provide support for the major gift program including, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintain major donor records in the Salsa CRM database
- Prepare regular major gift activity reports as assigned
- Provide administrative support to major donor strategy meetings including meeting preparation; taking notes; providing summary reports
- Prepare letters and other collateral materials as needed to support major gift activity
Fundraising Events (3 hours)
- Plan, organize and coordinate set-up of event materials, food and beverage catering, and any other necessary supplies or equipment
- Coordinate volunteer teams and manage event planning schedule
- Provide other event support as needed
- Comfortable working within a faith-motivated organization and culture.
- Two years of administrative or office management experience required
- Experience in nonprofit accounting, project management, and/or CRM database management preferred (Quickbooks Online, Salsa CRM, and Google Workspace)
- Commitment to the mission of Congo Initiative
- Must be comfortable handling basic accounting tasks and transactions
- Extremely attentive to detail and highly organized
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Team-oriented and flexible
- Proficient and clear communicator
- Able to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously with grace and poise
- Impeccable degree of personal integrity and discretion
- Self-motivated and self-directed
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resumé, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be contacted until the finalist stage, and only after obtaining specific permission from the applicant at that point in time.