For the first half of 2020, our community in the Democratic Republic of Congo faced the extraordinary challenge of confronting two outbreaks simultaneously: COVID-19 and Ebola. As the Ebola outbreak lingered, the first Coronavirus cases were confirmed in Beni, DR Congo in early April. Thankfully, on June 25th, the second-largest Ebola outbreak in history was declared over.
However, Congo’s attention has turned to the global pandemic that is leaving no corner of the world untouched. Though the number of cases remains lower than other regions, experts are deeply concerned about the potential impact the pandemic may have on vulnerable countries like Congo, where they face 3 times the risk of COVID-19 exposure, yet have 6 times lower access to healthcare services. Many Congolese confront hardships like fragile healthcare systems, struggling local economies, and ongoing conflict that exacerbates the situation. As of July 6th, 2020, Congo was listed as the 10th country with the most cases on the continent.
For 15 years, Congo Initiative has boldly responded to Congo’s greatest challenges with innovation and resolve. Even as the world seems to come undone, we remain committed to transforming lives and investing in a flourishing Congo.
NOW, MORE THAN EVER, WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
There are pressing needs for accurate and timely information, educational resources for remote learning, assistance paying salaries, and face masks. Will you join us as we seek to come alongside our community in Beni at this crucial time? Your generous support to Congo Initiative USA helps to ensure that our CI colleagues can:
- Disseminate critical information widely about COVID-19 through Radio Télé Bilingue.
- Equip women with skills and equipment to sew masks for the local population.
- Provide sanitation and prevention equipment.
- Teach awareness and prevention within community programs and beyond.
- Enable teachers and students to engage in online and “at-home” learning.
Without your support, students will fall behind in their learning or may even drop out of school. People throughout Beni and beyond will not receive crucial prevention information or the masks they need to protect themselves from these outbreaks. We are together… and together we can heal and continue transforming lives.
Our goal is $77,350.00, which will provide critically needed support for the next three months by accomplishing the following:
- 2,000 masks produced and distributed to the general public
- Radio broadcasting to educate and inform the public
- Workbooks for all 340 primary school students
- Access to online educational resources and tools for all 350+ UCBC students
- Data for 50 teachers to continue facilitating distance learning
- Emergency salary assistance for CI staff
Here are some examples of what your gift can accomplish:
workbook for primary school student
100 masks produced and distributed
100 GB of data for one month, enabling 5 teachers to facilitate online learning